Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Monday, July 31, 2023

654. Is Nikaah Over Phone Valid

By Asma Bint Shameem

Yes the scholars say that nikaah over the phone is valid. 

Someone asked Shaikh Ibn Baaz:
“I want to get married to a girl and her father is in another country; at present I cannot travel to meet him and do the marriage contract, for financial or other reasons. I am currently in a foreign country. Is it permissible for me to call her father so that he can say to me, “I give you my daughter So and so in marriage,” and I can say, “I accept.” The girl agrees to the marriage and there are two Muslim witnesses who can listen to what I say and what he says, via the speakers on the phone. 

Is this regarded as a legitimate marriage contract?”

He said:
“if what is described is true (and there is no tampering involved), then it fulfils the conditions of shar‘i marriage and the marriage contract is valid.”

However I would suggest doing the nikaah over a *video call*. 
This is permissible and everyone can see everyone. So there’s no chance of any tricks or confusions. 

And Allaah knows best

No comments: