Assalaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh

Thursday, October 29, 2020

238. There’s nothing wrong with a wife taking her husband’s name

By Asma Bint Shameem

There’s nothing wrong with a wife taking her husband’s name. 

Even our Mother Aaishah radhi Allaahu anhaa used to take the Prophet sal Allaahu Alayhi wa sallam’s name. 

She said:
Allaah’s Messenger said to her:
“I know when you are pleased with me or angry with me.” 

I said, “
When do you know that?” 

He said, 
“When you are pleased with me, you say, ‘No, by the Lord of Muhammad,’ but when you are angry with me, then you say, ‘No, by the Lord of Ibraheem.’ 

“Thereupon I said, 
“Yes (you are right), but by Allaah, O Allaah’s Messenger, I leave nothing but your name.”    
(al-Bukhari, vol. 7, 155)

So it’s permissible for a woman to call her husband by his name. 
But it’s good to take culture and customs also into consideration. 

And if taking your husband’s name is not the norm in your society or culture, and you’re supposed to call him by a nickname etc., then there’s nothing wrong with that either. 

And Allaah knows best

No comments: